“It’s really accepting the emotion and coming into the present moment—not time-traveling and wishing things were like they were in the past or time-traveling and wanting this to be over already and thinking about the future. Instead, it’s bringing yourself into the present moment of like, okay, I would prefer to not be feeling this way. I would prefer for this not to be happening. But this is happening, so I need to accept that.”
In this week’s episode—a replay from season 1 that’s too important not to re-share—Coach Carrie talks through a mental exercise to get out of sticky situations during your recovery. This one’s called Go FAR, and you can use it anytime you feel trapped or are facing a bump in the road you just can’t see your way over.
Go FAR is an acronym for Feel, Accept, Recover. To use it, you’ll tap into your emotions—even the negative ones— rather than push them away. Only then will you be able to move through them into the present reality, where you can take action to move forward in your recovery.
- Emotion lists: one html, one pdf
- A journaling exercise from Carrie’s website
- Mindset, by Carol Dweck
- The Insight Timer app
Thank you so much to our sponsors for season 6:
- Fluid Running, which has revolutionized fitness by bringing running to the deep water
- IceeNOW.com, which provides innovative injury prevention and recovery solutions for athletes
- ADAM Rehabilitation, creators of the ADAM Brace System, the most stable exercise system built to save the health of your shoulders
You can subscribe to The Injured Athletes Club on Spotify, Stitcher, Apple Podcasts, Audible, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts, and if you like what you hear, please leave us a rating or a review in Apple podcasts. That helps other injured athletes find the show.
To access more resources for injured athletes:
- Buy Rebound: Train Your Mind to Bounce Back Stronger from Sports Injuries —now available as an audiobook!
- Access webinar videos, injury sources, and more great resources for injured athletes while supporting our work
- Join The Injured Athletes Club mailing list, for news and updates
- Join The Injured Athletes Club Facebook group, for support and camaraderie
- Like The Injured Athletes Club Podcast Facebook page, for the latest episodes
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, guest suggestions, or other feedback
DISCLAIMER: This content is for educational & informational use only and & does not constitute medical advice. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you may have heard in an episode of this podcast. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with a qualified medical professional for proper evaluation & treatment. Guests who speak on this podcast express their own opinions, experiences, and conclusions, and The Injured Athletes Club podcast hosts nor any company providing financial support endorses or opposes any particular treatment option discussed in the episodes of this podcast and are not responsible for any actions or inactions of listeners based on the information presented. The use of any information provided is solely at your own risk.