“The greater lesson of this is that I’ve helped open the door—a lot of people have opened the door—to talk about what running on the other side looks like, or not running, what the other side of that looks like. You can still have a creative, active, badass life without pounding on your body, if that doesn’t work for you anymore.”
Dimity McDowell has been a runner for years. She’s also the author of many books about running; a sports and fitness writer who’s written for running publications; and the co-founder of the positive, thriving community Another Mother Runner.
But the last time she ran a step was on Jan. 18, 2020.
She wouldn’t trade her relationship with running for anything; the miles made her who she is. In this week’s episode, Dimity explains the challenges that convinced her it was time to move on—and how she made peace with her redefined identity.
The journey wasn’t easy, and at times it’s still sad and frustrating. But by sharing her experiences, she hopes to offer others a guide to making tough decisions, grieving losses, and living a full, joy-filled life filled with new adventures.
New this season: We’re asking listeners to support the show directly, which you can do at buymeacoffee.com/rebound. Make a one-time donation or download extras like webinar recordings and resource sheets. Or, you can join as an ongoing member; for $10 a month, you’ll get goodies like podcast extras, live monthly Q&As with Carrie, and discounts from great companies like Fluid Running, Lever Movement, Netic Health, and Reflex Health.
You can subscribe to The Injured Athletes Club on Spotify, Stitcher, Apple Podcasts, Audible, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts, and if you like what you hear, please leave us a rating or a review in Apple podcasts. That helps other injured athletes find the show.
- Dimity’s Instagram and Twitter
- Another Mother Runner’s website, Instagram, Twitter and podcasts
- Dimity’s articles about leaving running in Women’s Running: The True Finish Line: How One Runner Finally Accepted the End of Her Running Career, How to Know When It’s Time to Quit Running
- The Another Mother Runner blog post and podcast episode where Dimity tells the community her situation
To access more resources for injured athletes:
- Buy Rebound: Train Your Mind to Bounce Back Stronger from Sports Injuries —now available as an audiobook!
- Join The Injured Athletes Club mailing list, for news and updates
- Join The Injured Athletes Club Facebook group, for support and camaraderie
- Like The Injured Athletes Club Podcast Facebook page, for the latest episodes
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, guest suggestions, or other feedback
DISCLAIMER: This content is for educational & informational use only and & does not constitute medical advice. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you may have heard in an episode of this podcast. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with a qualified medical professional for proper evaluation & treatment. Guests who speak on this podcast express their own opinions, experiences, and conclusions, and The Injured Athletes Club podcast hosts nor any company providing financial support endorses or opposes any particular treatment option discussed in the episodes of this podcast and are not responsible for any actions or inactions of listeners based on the information presented. The use of any information provided is solely at your own risk.